OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2011 09:31:04 -0500
Greetings... I suppose the Snow and Ross's Goose issue and the
Canada/Cackling Goose issue probably produce some sightings and
reports that could go one way or the other, depending on the observer
and his or her knowledge and experience. There are a number of species
groups that the same could be said of. Some of the gulls come to mind.

Jay Stenger pointed out to me that one useful thing about the Sibley
Guide that is sometimes overlooked is that Sibley provides average
weights for the different species in pounds, ounces, and grams.
Sometimes it's helpful to get a sense of the weight or "heft" of
particular species. Sometimes it's not. But in the case of Snow Goose
(Lesser's at an average of 5.3 pounds; Greaters at 7.4 pounds) and
Ross's Geese (2.7 pounds), I think the difference is enough that if
one is faced with a question of whether it's a Snow or Ross's Goose,
it's quite possible that given how relatively dainty a "true" Ross's
Goose should be, the question almost answers itself: if we have to ask
the question, it's probably not a pure or true (or however one wants
to define it) Ross's Goose. The same would seem to be useful, but not
diagnostic, for Canada/Cackling.

I'm not saying it's the only way or the best way, but it's one way
that I've found helpful from time to time.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
Butler County