OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Laura Gooch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:51:53 -0800
There were two Short-eared Owls (a male and a female, I think) hunting at Burke Lakefront Airport late this afternoon (December 1). They could be seen from Gates 11 and 12 on the marginal road, and were hunting between the runways and north of the runways between taxiways E and F (the two easternmost taxiways) and also east of the end of the runways. The wildlife officer was attempting the harass them, but they seemed to pay him no mind. I'm sure he will do his best to get them out of the area, so you might want to get there soon if you want to see them. (As a birder, I hate to see the wildlife officer mess with the owls. As a pilot, I appreciate his efforts.)

Laura Gooch
Cleveland Heights