OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 10:44:56 -0800
Hello All... Some very interesting discussion on the Ashtabula Ross's Goose, and the question about Snow/Ross's hybrids. I'd like to add just a few comments based primarily on my own personal observations of both Snow and Ross's geese in California. These were large, over-wintering flocks in the areas of the Salton Sea in S Cal, and also some of the NWR's north of Sacramento; on separate trips over the last several years. In both of these areas, the two species tended to be mostly segregated, but with some limited mixing while feeding in fields. For example, in a flock of an estimated 2,000+ Ross's Geese (all on a series of ponds near the Salton Sea, and where a 1st-winter blue-morph Ross's was eventually found) it was nearly as difficult to find a single (just one) Snow Goose, which was quite noticeably a Snow Goose. But the most notable observation (over several hours of study, mostly by spotting scope) was the variability in size among these
 supposed Ross's Geese. This size variation was also being discussed among other birders who were there. In studying/comparing especially the individuals that were largest among them, all of the bill features, head shape, etc. of these birds could also be observed in the Ashtabula bird. I suppose that many of the larger birds in these CA flocks could be considered hybrids, however, as you could also observe some variability in bill characteristics, head shape, etc. among them. Back here in Ohio, where Ross's are mostly found as single birds, we love to find a Ross's that is at the small end of this size variation continuum, and also with the "classic" bill features. But since this doesn't always happen, it is understandable that the hybrid question would be raised. All I'm suggesting here is that in a CA over-wintering flock of Ross's Geese, the ID of this Ashtabula bird wouldn't even be questioned, and also that the concern about size
 is probably less important than the other diagnostic bill and head features. Of course, you wouldn't have to do much searching in a CA flock to also find a more "classic" individual, for your year or life list. Ultimately, each of you will have to study the literature, compare pictures, your notes, and perhaps even consider e-mail discussions, before making your own decision about the ID of this particular bird.

Good Birding!
Dan

Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St
Powell, OH 43065
614-596-5666

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous