OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Sherrie Duris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherrie Duris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 22:43:55 -0500
Birders-

Maumee Bay State Park is a great place for owls and right around the corner
from where I live. I had five species of owls there in early spring. It is
sixteen miles northwest of Magee Marsh. From Magee, take Rt.2 west to
Curtice Road and head north until it dead ends into the park.

Saw-whets like to roost in the thick tangles that line the paved bike path
between the campground and sledding hill. This is a two mile loop that
starts by the sledding hill or can be accessed from the beach area parking
lot. There are several grass lined paths that intersect with the paved bike
path where the birds also may be found. You can see these trails if you zoom
in on the satellite view of Google Maps. Bring waterproof boots if you
intend on walking the grass paths. The owls have also been heard and seen on
the Toledo CBC at the far east end of the park near Mallard Club Marsh.
Drive east between the cabins until the road dead ends. Park and walk north
toward the lake.  I have not had any yet this fall/winter season, but I do
scan the tangles thoroughly when I am walking the path.

Long-eared Owls can be found roosting in the far northwest corner of the
paved bike path near Bayshore Road. I've also had them at the southwest
corner of the campground. These birds are very skittish and will flush
easily if you try to get too close. I have not come across any yet this
season, but that is not to say they aren't there.

Short-eared Owls were seen in early spring over the golf course. These birds
are usually spotted above the grassy area near the sledding hill at dusk.
Northern Harriers can also be seen in this area on occasion.

Great Horned & Screech owls can be found just about anywhere in the park in
the wooded areas. I had a Great Horned a few days ago in the southwest
corner of the campground and a Screech behind the nature center.

The beach area is a good spot to checkout gulls, ducks, and geese as well as
shorebirds in the fall. This area is also the spot to check for Snow
Buntings and a possible Snowy Owl.  Also check for Purple Sandpipers on the
breakwall and/or possible flyby Cave Swallows. I had two Great Black-backed
Gulls on the inland beach a few days ago. That beach is also good for a
lingering Dunlin or Killdeer.

There has been a Northern Shrike hanging out in the campground just north of
the pond. I had a Northern Mockingbird and late Catbird along the paved bike
path this fall.

Good Birding!

Sherrie Duris
2012 Vice President