OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2011 19:56:40 -0800
Yesterday (Sat, 12/10), while heading out of town, Tim & I spotted a Ross's
Goose on a small private pond sw of Louisville.  This was about 11:30 AM.  We
were able to get a few pics and called a few friends close by.  When we got back
to town about 6:30 PM, it was gone though the small group of Canadas it had been
hanging out with were still present.  This morning, Tim went back to the pond
and all the geese were gone & the pond frozen.  Checked again later in the day &
the pond was still frozen.  Six people, including Tim & I, were able to see the
bird before it left.

Pretty sure it was a Ross', not a hybrid.  The pics clearly show a rounded head,
small bill with dark smudge at base of bill, & the bill joins the face in a
straight verticle line.

This was not posted while the bird was still present because the pond is located
on a dangerous part of the road and the property owner would not welcome people
stopping along his property.  There was only room for 1 car to stop briefly.

Laura Dornan
Louisville