OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:02:40 +0000
Greetings all -
I have very little information on the reported Smith's Longspurs (gleaned from bird yesterday). Yesterday, Randy Kreager saw two possible Smith's Longspurs near Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area. This is an extremely rare bird in Ohio, with few winter records and more spring records. It is a review species and must be documented in extreme detail as there are many similar species (American Pipit can look quite similar, and buffy Laplands can as well). Hopefully a detailed report will follow.
Randy reports "they were in a HUGE flock: predominately buntings, quite a few larks, and many Lapland Longspurs."
Randy's directions to location: "When you turn into Metzger Marsh road, off of Route 2, take the immediate left, cross the bridge, and proceed back to the end of the road. The sign says Dead End - but it is not. When you go as far north as you can, you come to a "T" (the left part of the T goes out to a side road). It was at that "T" that I sat for well over an hour, watching this flock. The longer I sat, the closer they came. I got really good looks with my scope!"

Jen [log in to unmask]
Cleveland, Ohio
330-701-6452

Bird Illustrator / www.jenbrumfield.com