OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Dan Best <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:02:05 -0500
Finally made it out to Ashtabula, too late for the black-tailed gull
apparently (?), but the snowy owl was in full view in the wide open
expanses of the railroad yard.
The snowy made a short flight to the tracks near the coal piles where
it was promptly buzzed by a peregrine that came out of nowhere.  The
peregrine then flew to the top of a utility pole in front of the big
coal pile.
The owl raised it wings to ward off the momentary harassment.   A few
minutes earlier, the falcon had sent a flock of ring-billed gulls off
the river ice and into the air on the opposite side of the bridge.
With the bridge pigeons providing ready meals, made us wonder if it
left a well-fed falcon the luxury of entertaining itself.

A few minutes later, with the snowy owl perched on the rail, along
comes a railroad worker in his white pickup truck along the lane next
to the track.
It was apparent that he was slowing down to view the owl.  (I'm
betting the RR workers are well acquainted with their arctic guest by
now.)
So with the curious and/or respectful approach of the truck, the owl
takes flight but only when the truck is almost next to it.
Immediately upon the owl taking wing, the peregrine zips across the
500 ft of open ground to buzz the owl again.
The truck's brakelights go on and I'm imagining this guy exclaiming
"What the hell?!" at the sudden furious flash of wings in front of
this windshield.

Sure would have liked to talk to the RR guy about what he saw.  Even
if we didn't see the black-tailed gull, seeing a snowy owl and a
peregrine, interacting no less, made our day.  Wonder what it did for
the RR worker's?

Dan Best