OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2011 06:09:24 -0500
I'm trying to help some folks who are evaluating an out-of-range prairie
falcon record. Ohio's six records of this species are all out of range
as well, and we might be of some help in describing how this species
behaved out of range.
        The only records here of birds that stayed around long enough to be
seen hunting, roosting, etc. were the birds (probably the same bird, but
as far as I know there is no proof of this) that hung around The Wilds
in 2003-4 and 2004-5. I'd like to hear from folks who observed its
behavior when hunting.
        I saw the bird only once (in eleven trips!), and it was not happy to
see me; it flew off a telephone pole, so my testimony is close to
useless. If anyone was lucky enough to study the bird(s) undisturbed and
hungry, I would very grateful to hear what you saw, e.g. did it hunt
from a perch or stoop from on high?  Any idea of prey? I seem to recall
it most often being seen flushed from a perch, or gliding low over the
terrain; did it ever soar high like a buteo?
Thanks for any light you can shed...
Bill Whan
Columbus