OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2012 18:12:31 -0500
I spent from 5:00 to 5:30 pm at the Alum Creek Reservoir dam, scoping
the gulls coming in to roost for the evening in a large flock in the
middle of the south end of the reservoir. Among the hundreds and
hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls were a few dozen Herring Gulls, 1
GLAUCOUS GULL (pale 1st/2nd year), and 1 ICELAND GULL (1st/2nd year,
pale but darker than the Glaucous).  At one point they were right next
to one another with Herring Gulls, which made for great comparisons in
the low light. I never saw the birds join the large flock on the
water, so no idea whether or not they flew in from the south.

There's a decent chance these birds will fly south west to the
Olentangy River in the morning, then head south to the SWACO Landfill.
 Something to keep an eye out for if you see gulls flying south over
Columbus in the morning, or north in the evening.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado