OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:58:22 -0500
In addition to the Darke County Birders, I've heard of a few other birders
that have visited the area looking for gulls, most without much success.
Timing these visits seems to be important, but it's hard to say which times
are best.  Here's a bit more info on the gull activity at/around the
landfill (if I'm missing something, others are encouraged to chime in!) and
more thoughts on finding these gulls coming and going from their roost
sites at dawn and dusk.

A/the Thayer's Gull was reportedly seen again earlier this morning between
8-9am (this is from a report via eBird which included no details).
Although gulls were present earlier this morning, I visited around 1pm and
there were very few gulls around the landfill!  Why? Since the landfill is
closed Sundays, perhaps the gulls lost interest with no new trash/food
coming in and headed elsewhere?  I suspect "gulling" while the landfill is
open might be more productive.  Alternatively, raptors (e.g. peregrines)
can flush the birds from the landfill, so they may have been pushed out of
the area, so they may have simply dispersed for the day.

Also, a quick correction to Bill's email:  gulls seem to be roosting on
Alum Creek Reservoir, not O'Shaughnessy. Park below the Alum Creek dam for
best access.  Hoover gets some roosting gulls at night, but from what I've
seen over the past few weeks nowhere near the numbers at Alum Creek. I'm
not sure about Delaware & Deer Creek reservoirs.

That said, it still isn't clear where else the SWACO landfill gulls are
roosting at night. If you can make it out to watch the sun set from places
like Deer Creek, Alum Creek or any other large lakes in central ohio, it
would be really helpful to share whether lots of gulls are present (or not).

Roosting gulls commonly end up in a large raft out in the center of a
lake/reservoir at night, and seem to also often spend some time on or near
shore before turning in for the night or departing for the day. Even if you
can't identify gulls very well, it can be a lot of fun to see them coming
and going from the lakes and reservoirs they sleep on at night.  A scope
can be handy for ID purposes, but isn't necessary to find these large
roosting flocks.  Plus, those "white winged" and "black backed" gulls can
often be picked out among these large resting groups with binoculars.

Happy gulling,
Paul Hurtado