OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:19:21 -0500
Greetings Noah and all, (in reference to the immature accipiter in the link in the previous email) this is indeed a Cooper's Hawk. From this singular photo, without a full body shot for ideal observation of proportions, we're left to frontal field marks. On this bird, the streaking is entirely too fine and widespread for Gos, the face too punched in and "surprised" (Gos is buteo-like and more fierce), and the underparts streaking too fine and scattered. Overall, while size is difficult to judge without comparison(s), the bird is too sleek and well-proportioned. Goshawk is a large, bulky bird, more like a buteo. Goshawks are heavy, built, more reminiscent of Red-shouldered immature, or small immature Red-tailed in overall girth and proportion.

Immature accipiter ID is one of the most tricky ID complications in the states.

In this case, while this bird appears to have a clear and defined white supercilium, the full span of ID marks does not add up to Gos. Many Cooper's can show clear eye-lines but all marks must add up.

Great example of a tough ID "quiz"

Best of birding-
JB

Jen Brumfield