OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2012 20:18:58 -0500
Greetings all-

Jerry Talkington called this morning to report two Common Ravens, observed close and at length, and photographed, near the Walmart distribution center, northeast of Stuebenville, and just southwest of Richmond. The ravens were found near the intersection of Route 43 and County Road 45. The from the intersection, the birds were found a quarter mile down County Road 45, feeding on a deer carcass just off the roadway. One of the ravens was seen on the roadside itself seemingly careless of vehicles rushing by.

Best of 2012 birding to all. Sounds like a bunch of folks are off to an incredible start! Godspeed.

 I completed my 2011 Cuyahoga County big year with a total of 240 species (last addition was Northern Shrike at Jaite).  Soon I will be putting together a run-down of my big year highlights and suggestions for those who are doing a big county year in Cuyahoga, and will post on northnw.wordpress.com. Today, I hit the lake with my father Dave and Phil Chaon, and we wracked up 54 species within the county. A slow day on the lake and in the woods (decent diversity, low numbers) held us back from hitting 60+, but it was absolutely fantastic to be out today.

JB

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, OH
Bird illustrator and birding tour guide