OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:01:37 -0500
Vic Fazio and I conducted the 14th Kelleys Island January monthly census
today.  Only the January 2000 and February 2000 census have been missed
since the beginning of monthly census routes on Kelleys.  The day started
clear, light ESE winds, 32 F and ended overcast, ENE winds of 5-10 mph, 44
F.  48 species were observed of 6726 individuals.  One new species was
added to the January census list and that was a Rusty Blackbird.  Several
regular January birds were missed including Blue Jay and American Tree
Sparrow.  The average number of species observed on a January census is 41
with 6189 individuals.  So today was slightly above average.

93     Canada Goose
15     Gadwall
43     American Black Duck
185   Mallard
6       Mallard X American Black Duck hybrid
11     Greater Scaup
130   Lesser Scaup
137   Bufflehead
236   Common Goldeneye
17     Common Merganser
129   Red-breasted Merganser
1       Common Loon
2       Double-crested Cormorant
8       Bald Eagle
1       Sharp-shinned Hawk
2       Cooper's Hawk
1       Red-tailed Hawk
38     Ring-billed Gull
76     Herring Gull
12     Great Black-backed Gull
2       Mourning Dove
3       Eastern Screech-Owl
6       Red-bellied Woodpecker
34     Downy Woodpecker
20     Northern Flicker
12     American Crow
13     Horned Lark
152   Black-capped Chickadee
1       White-breasted Nuthatch
28     Brown Creeper
7       Carolina Wren
2       Winter Wren
11     Golden-crowned Kinglet
7       Hermit Thrush
192   American Robin
4884 European Starling
11     Cedar Waxwing
25     Yellow-rumped Warbler
1       Eastern Towhee
3       Swamp Sparrow
22     White-throated Sparrow
9       Dark-eyed Junco
62     Northern Cardinal
1       Red-winged Blackbird
1       Rusty Blackbird
16     Purple Finch
18     House Finch
9       American Goldfinch
31     House Sparrow

48 species and 1 hybrid
6726 individuals

In addition, Vic and I stopped at the Sandusky coal dock to see the
night-herons for his January list.  We had 86 individuals there!  Vic added
18 species to his January list and I added 3.  We still have work to do.

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio