OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Ken Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2012 23:24:40 -0500
Bill Kinkead,Jason Simonis and myself headed to N,W. Ohio from Columbus
this morning.   Our first stop was Wooodlawn Cemetary in Toledo where we
birded for about 4 hours.  We found the Common Redpolls as reported by
Doreen Linzell earlier this morning feeding in the top halves of Alder
trees along the pond but they quickly moved on and could not be refound.
We also located the 2 Merlins.

At oak Openings at the Buhler center birdfeeders on Girdham we saw 2 Pine
Siskins and 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch and checked the Wabash bikepath west
of Girdham Rd in the conifers on both sides of the path for the Red
Crossbills but had no luck..

Just east of Swan Creek along Rt. 20A on the north side of the road we
entered the small Swan Creek Cemetary where we fairly quickly found 3
White-winged Crossbills.

Along the south side of Poe Rd. east of Bowling Green at the golf course
pond located a Cackling Goose among a quite large flock of Canada Geese.

We searched for the Snowy Owl that has been seen for awhile west of Cygnet
but could only find 2 Short-eared Owls along Liberty Hi Rd.

KEN SHEPHERD