OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:56:10 -0500
I hiked the Buttonbush Trail in the Pond Brook Conservation Area this
morning. I saw a pair of barred owls in a tree right along the eastern leg
of the trail. The larger one (female?) was puffed up and sleeping while the
smaller one (male?) was in a higher branch calmly keeping watch - even when
a hiker with a dog walked by.

There was a red-tailed hawk and a red-shouldered hawk in the trees near the
entrance to the Ledges Area.

Liberty Park has three areas, is located in Twinsburg and is part of the
Summit County Metroparks. The Ledges Trail opened last fall and goes past
some beautiful sandstone ledges. There are usually some chickadees and downy
woodpeckers along the trail near the ledges. There is a boardwalk that has a
platform that overlooks some wetlands that should be a great place to go in
the spring and summer.