OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:04:34 -0500
Fellow birders,

     Went down to a Strip mined area of Perry County just North of New
Lexington, called Rehoboth.  Some of it has been restored and reminds me of
the wilds twenty years ago.  Vicki Derr called it "The Poor Man's Wilds". I
thought we might get lucky and maybe see a Harrier or two.  We ended up
seeing at least three Harriers and probably five, but the big find was
Short eared Owls.  We saw at least four and possibly six.  Several of them
perched up on short trees and signs for us, providing very good looks.
 This was our first Short eared Owls for Perry County, bringing my life
county list up to 205, and our County year list up to 60.

     Also saw three Eastern Meadowlarks while down there along with many
Bluebirds, four Red tailed hawks and a Cooper's hawk.  All in all, an
excellent visit, and not the last.  We will go back several times looking
for Shrikes.  I would urge the few Perry County Birders who monitor these
posts to get down there, too.  With the sun out today, it was great
birding.  The Owls were first seen at 3:45

     Before going to the wilds, we saw a flock of about twenty Wild
Turkey's in our own back yard, just above Clouse Lake.