OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:48:50 -0800
I drove into Wildwood SP Marina today around 10:25am to the west side of the parking area near the creek and before I parked the car (I jumped out) saw my best birds of the day.  The sun was shining, the sky was blue and a long string of large white birds were flying east beyond the marina, Tundra Swans.  They changed course a few times starting to fly towards the marina, turned around a few times and ended up flying southeast, the time on my camera showed it lasted at least 3-1/2 mins.  I could hear them yelping like dogs.

Wild wood Marina/Villa Angela - 10:25am to 1:25pm - 19 to 27 deg, winds 4-6mph SE,S to SW
Didn't see a whole lot else unusual at the park today

Tundra Swans - 31 (for a point & shoot camera got good views of them)
Canada Geese 125
Red-breasted Mergansers - saw approx 1000 - 1500 fly east at one time
Ruddy Ducks 4 - Villa Angela out form rock piles
Ring-billed Gulls 700-800 in marina
Bonaparte's Gulls 5
Herring Gulls - few in marina
American Tree Sparrows 4 (3WW, 1VA)
Carolina Wren 1 heard in WW
Winter Wren 1 heard only in WW

I did stop at Sims Park in Euclid from 2:05 to 2:40pm
Did not thoroughly scan all the open waters so I may have missed some scoters or birds

Red-breasted Mergansers - small numbers in water
Black Scoter 1 (female) very close to shore just west of pier
Surf Scoter 1 far east of pier (was unable to find any others)
Common Goldeneyes approx 170
Scaup - at least 24 far east of the pier in with the largest concentration of Goldeneye (I could not ID which Scaup) - I did not see any Scaup yesterday -  the Surf Scoter was mixed in with all of the Goldeneye and Scaup
Bufflehead 2 near shore
Great Black-backed Gull 1
Bonaparte's Gulls - few

Nancy Anderson