OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:08:00 -0500
Had a great time birding with OOS this weekend at the Wilds.  Birds were
tough to find but birding with others and especially new birders is fun.
Short-eared Owls put on a show Saturday PM along SR 340 at the Wilds and
some American Pipits showed up as well.

On the way to Cambridge Friday we passed through New Concord.  We had 150+
Turkey Vultures and 2 Black Vultures around 5:00 PM.  But this morning we
checked back.  On US 40, 0.4 mile west of the intersection with SR 83 in
New Concord we had 200+ Turkey Vultures and 20+ Black Vultures roosting in
the trees to the north.  In addition, there we 75+ Turkey Vultures roosting
in the trees just north of the intersection on SR 83.

We continued to Knox County to look for the Common Raven of last spring.  I
hadn't heard any reports but it was on the way home.  We found the bird at
1:15 PM off Reed Road near the intersection with Pealer Mill Road.  Was it
there all summer and fall?  This is less than 1/4 mile from where we saw it
last March.

Tom

--
H. Thomas Bartlett