OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Chris Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 04:43:56 -0800
Oberlin Rese
I was able to visit a couple places during the afternoon.

Oberlin Reservoir was nearly iced up, but a large concentration of gulls was
there.

They did not get up, and they were a ways off, so nothing unusual was seen. I
did see
one of the resident Bald Eagles while driving south on West Rd.  Also, a lot of
Horned Larks and Am. Tree Sparrows were seen along the road.

Wellington Reservoir was a busy place with lots of open water. Highlights
included a single
Blue morph Snow Goose, Black Ducks, Gadwalls, N. Shovelers, Redheads, a few each
L. Scaup
and Ring-necked Ducks, Pied- billed Grebes, and Hooded Mergansers.

My final stop was the Lorain County Regional Airport. A decent sized crowd was
there and we were not
disappointed. A Kestrel worked the SW corner of the property, while a Peregrine
Falcon
cruised by further west.  A great looking male N. Harrier then came in and
chased off the 5 E. Meadowlarks which we had been watching as the sunlight made
them seemingly glow. Shortly thereafter, the main attractions showed up, near
the next pulloff to the east. Up to 5 Short-eared Owls plied the field in the
vicinity of  2 small white buildings. They put on quite a show as they worked
the area. A Rough-legged Hawk was also reported by some.

See you on the trails,

Chris Pierce
N. Olmsted, OH