OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:35:23 -0500
Raven seekers and/or January listers,

considered (loosely defined) as a "permanent resident" as it has been
spotted for over a year in a very small area. Although I have no (other
than anecdotal records) throughout the summer, the bird was seen on the
Mohican CBC count week in 2010 and on count day in on the 112th count
(2011-2012) (December 31st, 2011).

It was also seen throughout the spring of 2011 by many observers and again
during the fall of 2011 by local resident observers.  Although it could
have gone elsewhere during the summer and returned, a local raven has
never, to my knowledge, been seen outside of an approximate 2 square mile
area bounded by the "crossroads" of Nunda to the southwest and College Hill
on the northeast, which are directly west of the small village of Jelloway
(all in Knox County) located in the southeast quarter of pg. 43 of the
Delorme Atlas 2007 edition 8.

Statistically the odds are in favor of the bird having stayed in the area
for over a year compared to it migrating out and then back again and/or
being 2 different birds and/or the offspring of the original bird. Too my
knowledge- there has never
been sightings of multiple ravens at the same time.

Roger Troutman