OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:19:12 -0500
Greetings-

Birded Chagrin River Road from Solon north to North Chagrin Reservation in Cuyahoga County today. It was very, very quiet overall, until we landed on a spruce stand just north of Cleveland Metroparks "Old Field" parking lot (this is just south of the "Polo Field"). As we walked the multipurpose path north from the parking lot, approaching the spruce stand, we had a single White-winged Crossbill fly over heading east over the river, calling constantly. As we walked into the spruce stand (trail goes right through it), we heard a cacophony of calls from disgruntled chickadees, titmice, jays, woodpeckers, and Red-breasted Nuthatches. This large flock was excitedly mobbing something 50 to 70 feet up a tall spruce. We spent the next 30 minutes repeatedly working around the tree until I landed on a brown ball of feathers, 50 feet up  the spruce, in a dark knot of branches and needles. We ended up getting good looks at the bird through a scope, but this Northern Saw-whet Owl was ridiculously difficult (back-breaking) to locate. If you attempt to locate this individual, walk on the multipurpose trail (about 60 feet crom when you enter the spruces) until you reach a large tree break of fallen trees and limbs on the left (river on your right). Just before the downed trees, look at one of the last large spruces before the tree break. Haans Petruschke estimated that the trees are 80+ feet tall, so look around half-way up, and within a few feet from the trunk. You will need patience and a massive stroke of luck.

JB

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, OH
Bird illustrator and birding tour guide