OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:31:29 -0500
When I arrived at 11:30 am, I found one Surf Scoter, female or immature, by
scanning with telescope the scattered flock of Goldeneye.  After the visit
to E 72nd Street and the adjoining marina imoundment, where I also added
Common Merganser, 1 drake, 1 female, I stopped at Sims again at about 3:00
pm and found the single female Black Scoter and one Surf Scoter, very
likely the same female/immature that I saw in the morning by scoping the
Goldeneye flock.  Ended the day at Ashtabula.  Gulls flocking on the ice in
the river/harbor.  Lots of Common Mergansers but no Black-tailed Gull.
With the Black-crowned Night Herons in Columbus this morning on my way
north, my January list is 90 after seven birding days.
Jay Lehman, Cincinnati, sent from DROID