OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Paul Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:33:13 -0500
I was in Westerville early Monday afternoon Jan. 17th, so I stopped by
Inniswood to see if the Ovenbird was still hanging around -- no sign of  it...

On another note, I saw the most interesting thing that day down the street
from my house:  A Cooper's Hawk had grabbed a Gray Squirrel and had it
pinned to the ground.   I was able to stop and watch this epic  struggle.  The
hawk was not tearing at the squirrel -- just holding it down  while it
fought back.  Finally the hawk tried to lift off with it and  couldn't -- so
dropped back down.  After about another minute of looking  around, the hawk
squawked and flew off without the squirrel.  At that  instant, a Red Tail hit
the squirrel (I didn't see it until it hit) and rolled  it -- but didn't grab
it.  The squirrel, no doubt wondering if this day  could get any worse, sort
of ran/staggered to some bushes by this house and went  up into them.
Meanwhile after the missed hit, the Red Tail perched in a  Pin Oak about 20 feet
from me and the Cooper's flew back into a Crabapple about  75 feet away,
with both watching the bushes.  After about 10 more minutes  of them watching,
the Red Tail flew off and then I drove off.   Never  saw a Coopers try to
grab a full grown Gray Squirrel before -- anyone seen  this?  I know they
take Chipmunks and probably those small Red Squirrels,  but a full grown Gray?

Paul Graham
Worthington