OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:38:03 -0500
Last week, we had a Cooper's Hawk and a Gray Squirrel sitting within about
five feet of each other on the railing of our backyard deck. The squirrel
was munching on some bits of food and seemed to be keeping an eye on the
hawk, but did not appear especially nervous. The hawk watched the squirrel
in what I can only describe as a desultory manner. (Yes, my descriptions of
both animals' behavior are highly anthropomorphic!) What does seem obvious
is that the squirrel did not feel very threatened by the presence of the
hawk. I should note that the hawk appeared by size to be a female; pretty
big for a Cooper's.

There really was no significant interaction; the squirrel kept eating, the
hawk looked around, and within a few minutes they went their separate ways.

Bill Heck

--
Bill Heck