OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:40:32 -0500
A perfect storm of work obligations gave me the opportunity to visit two of
our state's supreme spots for wintering raptors, back to back.

Yesterday evening I visited Killdeer Plains with just 90 minutes to spare
before sunset.  Granted I didn't get to spend a lot of time looking, but I
failed to find any Long Eared Owls in the primary pines (---I've lost track
of how many 'strikes' I've had!---), though I did find one tree absolutely
covered in whitewash.  (Not sap---thick, sheeny, mottled whitewash.)  I
spent a good 25 minutes peering into this tree from every possible angle
and found no owl---but I'm not so naive as to think no owl was there!

In the time I had left I observed several Red Tailed Hawks, one Harrier,
one very distant light Rough Legged, and a few Kestrels.  Then it was time
for the main event (and the reason I made the trek), the Short Eared Owl
show.  I stationed myself near the Sportsman's Center and ended up
observing six or seven owls before losing the light.  This was nothing like
the spectacular shows we enjoyed last winter, when it was typical to see
15-20 owls at once, but still a marvel to watch.  One of the owls flew
right by my open car window---no more that 20 feet away---allowing me to
snap a picture that turned out halfway decent, considering the low light.
(I've posted it on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/noahcomet/ )

This morning I visited The Wilds (before some work in Zanesville).  I did
not see the Golden Eagle, though it wasn't for a lack of scanning the
horizon from any number of elevated overlooks---that's practically all I
did.  International Road was the place to be for Rough Legged
Hawks---probably five different birds over the course of the morning, all
of them light morph.  Zion Ridge provided some very good looks at a "gray
ghost" male Harrier and a second---either a female or a young male.  Red
Tailed Hawks engaging in courtship behavior were all over, as were Kestrels
on wires and posts throughout the park.  I revisited the Prouty Road area
where we saw a Shrike on last year's OOS trip, but didn't find anything of
interest there.

A fun double-header---no lifers, but my first SEOs and RLHs of 2012.
Best,
Noah