OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:34:39 -0500
Not sure what happened with the formatting on Ethan's post, but I'm going to
attempt to repost it the way it looked when it left his desk.

This morning I had a single Common Redpoll coming to a private feeder
roughly 2.5 miles from Black Swamp Bird Observatory. If you're in the area
for the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge (ONWR) Auto Tour tomorrow, be on the
lookout for these northern finches; perhaps one will show up at the BSBO
Window on Wildlife feeders. We are open Fri, Sat, Sun 11am-5pm.

Some info about tomorrow's Auto Tour at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge:
"The refuge auto tour is scheduled for tomorrow, January 21st. The forecast
is calling for 2-4" of snow overnight. If the roads are safe we will open
the auto tour but it would be a good idea to call the office at 419-898-0014
to see if it is open."

The temperatures have been variable the past few weeks but when there's open
water, a lot of interesting waterfowl can be found. Lately there's been
thousands of Tundra Swans in the area. Also keep an eye out for the Northern
Shrike that has been hanging around the Magee causeway - Here's a link to
maps of many birding sites in the Black Swamp area.
http://www.bsbo.org/birding/birding_hotspots.htm

And finally, BSBO's Annual Winter Blues Blowout field trip to Killdeer
Plains Wildlife Area is coming up on Saturday, February 11th.  We'll meet at
9 AM, bird the area, pause for a great potluck lunch at noon, & birding
after lunch is on your own.  For more details visit the BSBO website:
http://www.bsbobird.org <http://www.bsbobird.org/>  or call us at 419
898-4070.  Please RSVP and let us know how many people are coming with you!