OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:42:24 -0500
Please consider joining us Monday at 7pm for Dr. Edward Burtt's program and
to congratulate him as he was named Ohio Professor of the Year:

January 23rd: "Kookaburras, Platypusses, and Pademelons, Oh My!!"

    Jed Burtt will provide a glimpse of Australian wildlife from Cape York
Peninsula to Tasmania.  The superb photography is from Pam Burtt and Jed
will supply his usual insightful narrative.  This is a not to be missed
program, unless, like Sally Waterhouse and Denny Radabaugh, you happen to be
in Australia.

DCBC PROGRAMS :

     The Delaware County Bird Club meetings and program presentations take
place on the fourth Monday of each month, September through April, except in
November and December when they are held earlier in the month to accommodate
the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays.  Please join us in the City of
Delaware at the Ohio Wesleyan University, Schimmel- Conrades Science Center,
Room 163.  Conversation and refreshments begin at 7:00 PM; the meetings and
programs start at 7:30 PM.  Parking is available next to the Selby Stadium
on the east side of Henry Street and in the lot south of the Science Center
next to Branch Rickey Arena.

OHIO WESLEYAN FACULTY MEMBER NAMED OHIO PROFESSOR OF THE YEAR

Edward H. 'Jed' Burtt Jr. Honored for Positive Impact on Students' Lives,
Careers

Delaware, Ohio - The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and
the Council for Advancement and Support of Education has named Edward H.
"Jed" Burtt Jr., Ph.D., of Ohio Wesleyan University as the 2011 Ohio
Professor of the Year.

Burtt, a zoology professor at Ohio Wesleyan since 1977, is being recognized
today at a Washington, D.C., ceremony hosted by the two prestigious higher
education organizations. In their words, the ceremony is intended "to honor
the most outstanding undergraduate instructors in the country - those who
excel as teachers and influence the lives and careers of their students."

Ohio Wesleyan President Rock Jones, Ph.D., said Burtt is a perfect choice to
receive the Ohio Professor of the Year Award.

"Jed says his mission is to help students grow into 'mature
citizen-scholars,' and he does it with an uncommon combination of warmth,
high expectations, and passion," Jones said. "He fully exemplifies the
qualities required for Professor of the Year. He changes lives every day -
and at Ohio Wesleyan, we have the privilege

of watching him do it."

Burtt's current and former students agree. Many seek him out while still in
high school because of his reputation among birding enthusiasts as an
accomplished ornithologist, professor, and mentor.

Sean Williams, a 2011 Ohio Wesleyan graduate, is one such student. In
supporting Burtt's nomination for U.S. Professor of the Year, Williams told
reviewers: "I write for the dozens of successful men and women when I say
that he is the single most inspiring, effective, and dedicated professor we
have encountered. We exclaim in harmony our support for this nomination."

With Burtt's mentorship and support, Williams was selected while an Ohio
Wesleyan undergraduate to receive a National Science Foundation Graduate
Research Fellowship. Williams also was awarded a University Enrichment
Fellowship from Michigan State University, where he is pursuing his
doctorate. Fewer than 5 percent of accepted Michigan State graduates receive
this fellowship.

Burtt also served as a mentor to 2011 Ohio Wesleyan graduate Kristin Lear,
who was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship in April to use her research skills
in Australia to develop a conservation plan for the critically endangered
Southern Bent-wing Bat. Lear is spending a year living and working in
Naracoorte Caves National Park in South Australia.

Burtt said watching students such as Williams and Lear succeed in their
professional and personal lives motivates and inspires him.

"The most exciting part of teaching is working one-on-one to help each
student fulfill her or his special potential," he said. "As a friend,
colleague, and mentor, I can share my values by living them and sometimes by
speaking of them when consulted by a student dealing with a difficult
situation. I hope that I convey to all students my passion for the birds I
love, the science that provides me with boundless excitement, and the
privilege I feel in becoming a trusted confidant in their lives.

"Awakening a passion in a young person and helping each student fulfill a
newly formulated dream is the essence of teaching," Burtt said "There is no
higher calling, no greater purpose in life."

During his career, Burtt has delivered 115 presentations at national and
international scientific meetings, including presentations with 53 different
undergraduate students. He has received 16 research grants totaling more
than $3 million, which helped to provide research stipends to 89 students.
He has been awarded two patents and three equipment grants totaling
approximately $800,000, which helped Ohio Wesleyan to purchase its original
scanning electron microscope and its new replacement scanning transmission
electron microscope. He has written four books, 54 research papers with 26
different student co-authors, and three papers

on teaching methodology with four different student co-authors.

Burtt has been awarded honorary life memberships in the Association of Field
Ornithologists and Wilson Ornithological Society. He also has been elected
as a Fellow of the Animal Behavior Society, American Ornithologists' Union,
Ohio Academy of Sciences, and the International Ornithologists' Union. He
holds a bachelor's degree in biology from Bowdoin College in Brunswick,
Maine, and master's and doctoral degrees in zoology from the University of
Wisconsin-Madison.

The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) and the Carnegie
Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching have been partners in the U.S.

Professors of the Year awards program since 1981. Washington, D.C.- based
CASE is one of the largest international associations of education
institutions, serving more than 3,400 universities, colleges, schools, and
related organizations in 74 countries. The Stanford, Calif.-based Carnegie
Foundation was founded in 1905 by Andrew Carnegie "to do all things
necessary to encourage, uphold and dignify the profession of teaching." The
foundation is the only advanced-study center for teachers in the world and
the third-oldest foundation in the nation.

Ohio Wesleyan University is one of the nation's premier small, private
universities, with more than 90 undergraduate majors, sequences, and

courses of study, and 23 NCAA Division III varsity sports. Located in
Delaware, Ohio, just minutes north of Ohio's capital and largest city,
Columbus, the university combines a globally focused curriculum with
off-campus learning and leadership opportunities that translate classroom
theory into real-world practice. OWU's close-knit community of 1,850
students represents 47 states and 57 countries. Ohio Wesleyan was named to
the 2010 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with
distinction, is featured in the book "Colleges That Change Lives," and is
included on the "best colleges" lists of U.S. News & World Report and The
Princeton Review. Learn more at www.owu.edu.