OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:43:31 -0500
Treacherous driving and walking conditions yesterday with everything
ice-covered.  Two male Brown-headed Cowbirds in a mixed flock of E.
Starlings, 6 Red-winged Blackbirds and at least 17 Rusty Blackbirds at the
west end of Bantam along the road and in ditches at the entrance to East
Fork SP at about noon.  The Merlin was at St Joseph's Cemetery on Eighth
Street.  I arrived at 2:30 pm and found the bird within 30 minutes.  Roads
were closed due to icing.  I walked the road edges on grass up the hill
directly from the entrance on 8th.  The bird was flying around in Sections
1 and 13 and perching in conifers in Section 12A and east of Section 13.
In previous years I have seen Merlins in St Joe perching in deciduos trees
but not conifers.  Lots of crows present this time, so this behavior may
have been to avoid the crows.  This Merlin was certainly less visible to me
except when flying around.  Ended the day at Deer Creek, but did not find
the Northern Shrike.  January list now 92.
Jay Lehman, Cincinnati, sent from DROID