OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 14:52:05 -0500
headed out to hit Lake Erie this
morning @ 7:30 with my buddies
Haans and Tom -

first birds of the day??
the Rt 6 Bald Eagle pair (nice start!)

Lorain
drove to the marina @ first -
TONS of birds!!!
on the east there were a couple
thousand RBGulls
on the west in the docks were
hundreds of RBMergs, a dozen or
so Coots, a couple dozen mallards,
a few dozen Bonies and a handful
of Common Mergs
what caught our eyes here was that
beyond the docks (in river) was a HUGE
number of birds (gulls and mergs).

so - over the bridge to the dirt road on the
west side of the river we went -
birds, birds, birds from the bridge out
past the mouth of the river
 - many thousand Mergs!
    maybe a 20:1 ration of RBMergs to
     Common Mergs (many mergs starting
     to display beautiful breeding plumage!)
sprinkled in with the mergs were a few hundred
gulls (mostly Herring)
we started by heading out as far north as we
could and ran into Gabe and Emil

informed by them that they already had Thayer's
and Iceland we headed back to the bridge area and
scanned
found among the masses we found
Thayer's Gull - 1
California Gull - 1
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 1
we did not relocate Gabe and Emil's earlier
located Iceland Gulls
Great Black-backed Gulls - 6ish
we hung around for a while and decided to
head east

Wendy Park/Whiskey Island
just before exiting Haans spotted a
Bald Eage flying south into the city

marina docks/ice packed with only
RBGulls (thousand?)
a few RBMergs and mallards

out in open water (but inside breakwall)
were more RBGulls and a few hundred
RBMergs

we drove to end of road to the river and
headed out toward Coast Guard station
     we found only a few dozen Coots and
     a hundred or so sleeping RBGulls
a man said that a few minutes prior the
river was full of gulls and ducks, but a passing
tugboat scared them all off
 - one cool surprise was a Northern Mockingbird
that greeted us as we hit the shore up the walkway
out between shore were a couple hundred gulls
asleep on the ice (only a few were Herring)

CEI/E 72nd Street
very few birds
(we did drive slowly past Burke on the marginal
- no owls/raptors etc)
less than 20 Mergs
less than 30 Gulls flying/on water
only interesting was a small raft of