OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:09:49 -0800

Greetings to all!

It's that time of year again. Time to st

Greetings to all!

It's that time of year again. Time to start the new year
with a new year list and what better way then trying your hand at 100
species for the month of January.

Last
 year we had another great start, but once back to
school...as usual...things slowed way down. I know lots of folks
made it to 100 in 2011 and I did pretty well. No records last year, though! I always remember how a good
friend once said how a little friendly competition during the cold, dark
 months of winter helps to keep us all energized and in-touch with our
friends...passing along lots of helpful information. This is also a
great way to scour the country-side (New areas and old) in search of rarities and unusual
winter records which adds great info for publications like the Ohio
Cardinal, the Bobolink. the Cleveland Bird Calendar and others.

As for me...this is about year 14 or 15
participating in this bit of organized insanity...I believe...and I'll
be heading out with three of my good friends for a few days of
hard-core birding in the morning, all over the state, before heading
back to classes,
 PhD research, RA duties
 and the start of winter
 quarter at Ohio University.

So...for whatever reason you may try your hand
at 100 Ohio birds, in the month of January, just remember to be safe and
 have a great deal of fun in the process. Good luck to any first-timers
and to all of you who have tried before...I know that you can do much
better this year!

I'll keep everyone posted if we find
anything good and try to keep information on unusual rarities going as
best as I can. Keep an eye on the list-serve for sightings and don't
forget to check your local hotlines! You never know what you might find!

Let's all canvas the state...new areas and old...and see what kind of awesome birds we can find! Hoping to meet up with lots of new...and old friends this month!

Have a safe and happy new year of birding, everyone!

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson
Graduate Student
Ohio University
Department of Environmental and Plant Biology
315 Porter Hall
Athens, Oh  45701
740-593-1126