OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:39:42 -0500
the Common Raven remains in NE Knox County as described by Roger Troutman,
January 16, a short drive from the most recent sighting report by Tom
Bartlett, January 15. Jackie and I saw the raven perched atop a utility pole
viewed from Kopple Road, looking up hill toward College Hill Road. This was
a reliable spot previously, based on reports last year. Elk are raised on
the farm along Kopple Road near where we saw it the first time, today. The
raven flew just as we got on it, displaying its strongly wedge-shaped tail
and long wings. We refound the raven perched near a couple crows, diminutive
in comparison, in the treeline along College Hill Road where it overlooks
Kopple Road. Wind exposed the pale gray color of the base of its neck
feathers as it pointed its long "Roman nose" away from our position.

Tom & Jackie Bain
Delaware County