OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:35:15 -0500
A quick trip to Toledo and Woodlawn Cemetery.  I arrived at about 1:30 pm
and started at the bridge.  A local birder reported that the White-winged
Crossbills (WWCR) had not long ago left a spruce tree on the west side of
the bridge.  The WWCR returned and landed in what appeared to be a Tulip
Tree north and west of the bridge. Not far away was a perched Merlin.  Soon
thereafter the flock of 30 WWCR were found feeding in a hemlock tree north
and west of the bridge along the first road parallel to the road that
crosses the bridge.  I managed two reasonable photos of one pink male.  The
road under this tree is littered with hemlock cones.  I walked north along
the west side of the lake, crossed the lake, and then walked back toward
the bridge.  Near Section 12, I found a flock of 15 to 20 small finches
that included redpolls by calls feeding in a Sweetgum.  I was able to find
only two Am. Goldfinches in this flock but was not able to get an exact
count on the Common Redpolls.  There were definitely more than five
(previous report).  An added benefit of birding in northern Ohio is the
Black-capped Chickadees.  I left Woodlawn Cem. at about 3:00 pm and arrived
at Magee Marsh between 4:00 & 4:30 pm after several wrong turns in Toledo.
No Northern Shrike, but found Easter Screech Owl and two Winter Wrens on
the boardwalk.  One Great Horned Owl calling at dusk, somewhere south and
east of the Magee causeway and the parking lot at the visitor center.  It
was a productive trip north, resulting in 98 for my January Quest for 100
species in Ohio list.
Jay Lehman, Cincinnati, sent from DROID