OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:38:58 -0500
Hi Kim and others,

Kim probably just misheard me in the field; I was actually leaning
strongly towards Trumpeter Swan on 6 of these birds.  While we were
standing there watching the swans I was discussing with Ken Shepherd
the possibility that the 7th bird, a much smaller juvenile, was a
Tundra Swan.  So in total, I believe there were 6 Trumpeter Swans (a
family group containing 2 adults and 4 juveniles) and 1 juvenile
Tundra Swan which was associating more loosely with the Trumpeters.

Here is a link to my eBird checklist which contains my photos of the swans:

Good birding,

Dave Slager
Columbus, Ohio