OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:34:49 -0500
One of the things I'm doing to help with a friend's forthcoming book on
passenger pigeons is to determine how many specimens remain in Ohio, and
where. I know about dozens, mostly in large museums, but I suspect there
may be more, in small nature centers, college holdings, libraries, etc.,
even private collections.  Here's what I have now: Ada: Ohio Northern
University [need confirmation!]; Akron: Summit County Historical Society
[need details!]; Bowling Green: Bowling Green State University;
Cincinnati: Cincinnati Museum of Natural History; Cincinnati Zoo and
Botanical Garden; Cleveland: Cleveland Museum of Natural History;
Columbus: Ohio History Center, Ohio State University Museum of
Biological Diversity; Dayton: Boonshoft Museum of Discovery
Defiance: Defiance College [need confirmation!]; Delaware: Ohio Wesleyan
University; Norwalk: Firelands Historical Society; Oberlin: Oberlin
College [most of their collection went to OSU decades ago; does a pigeon
specimen remain?]; Portsmouth: Portsmouth Public Library. Information
about any confirmations/details, or especially as-yet unknown troves,
would be very welcome!  If an ornithologist has ever helped you, here's
a chance to give back!
Bill Whan
Columbus