OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Scott Hannan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2012 10:24:26 -0500
I took the kids out after the ball drop, against my wife's furrowed  brow.

Hoped to start with an owl this year.

Amid a lot of whining and complaining about the cold, we heard, at 12:55
AM.....

CANADA GOOSE.  Honk.  Nuts.

Lots of "shooting stars" though (five in the hour we were out under  the
stars) -- wasn't aware of any meteor showers predicted, but that was  MUCH
more than I'd have expected to see.

Any owl watchers out there --- do you do best right before dawn, or is
there any rhyme/reason to the timing?  I can't leave any of the expected  owls
off the year list this year!!

My wife, by the way -- she's always right....the night ended poorly, with
the kids in mutiny, and us not speaking to each other (OK, they were asleep
in  their booster seats...)

Scott Hannan
whipped spouse of non-birder  :-)