OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2012 23:43:38 -0500
We had a spate of Golden-fronted records from Florida in the 1970s and 1980s which turned out to be xanthochromatic Red-bellied woodpeckers (i.e. Red-bellieds where the red head coloration was replaced by orange). If they didn't wander to Florida (which is much closer to their native range), it would seem a stretch for Golden-fronted to wander to Ohio.  While it's certainly possible, I would study any potential Golden-fronted Woodpecker very, very carefully.