OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 06:57:03 -0800
We also have had a spate of xanthochroistic Red-bellied Woodpeckers here in
Ohio.

From 1997 through 2002 I received three reports with photos (two originally
identified as Golden-fronted Woodpeckers). All were posted to the
website Aves.net at the time and lively discussion ensued. Unfortunately, none
of those images are available today, but the bottomline for definitive ID is the

matter of barring or lack thereof on the rump, and tail coverts. Get clear
images
of these features and you will have your answer. But on the matter of
likelihood,
it is far more likely this bird is an example of a xanthic Red-bellied
Woodpecker.

These distinctions are typically mentioned within the pages of the more recent
field
guides.

Which brings me to a comment I have held off making for a while. In the course
of eBird review, I have corresponded with 10-15 persons a month these past 5
years
regarding their entries. It has become apparent that adoption of the newer
(2007*
to present) field guides has been slow. I urge the readership to consider having
one each of a photo guide and an illustrated guide (always good to have a
second opinion) on hand and that both should date from 2007 or later.  While
I own every guide, if only so as to gauge the ID process behind eBird entries,
I do have my preferences.

All of the recent photo guides are good, Brinkley 2007, Floyd 2008, Small 2009,
and Stokes 2010, but I reach for Stokes first. And while Sibley is never out of
arms

reach, I have to say that the new Nat. Geo. is an absolute must. If anyone
wishes to

make a public comment on the range of a species as we currently understand it,
you will not wish to do so before consulting the 2011 6th ed. of Nat Geo. guide
it is simply that comprehensive.

In due course, I am sure the next Sibley will find a place on most every shelf,
but

it really does behoove one to update their library with one or more of these
choices.

cheers

Vic Fazio
presently in Shaker Hts, OH

*with Brinkley's photo guide from 2007 we see the incorporation of eBird data in
range maps as well as an expanded suite of photographic material. Not too
mention the beginning of many taxonomic and name changes that continue
to confuse eBird users with older guides. Both Stokes and Floyd are accompanied
by a CD of bird songs.