OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:06:30 +0000
Tim makes a good point about out-of-place oddities, and I would also like
to add that while the Golden-fronted Woodpecker is indeed a bird that tends
to stay put, its range is also currently suffering an extended severe
drought, which may spur some birds to start looking afield for greener
brushlands, so to speak. This is probably why Ohio got its Cassin's Sparrow
last year.

However, all of this is moot for this particular bird. What is needed are
the photographs, which should be submitted to the record committee along
with a write-up of the bird at least. And it would be nice if they were
posted on a publicly-viewable website, such as Flickr. Even better would be
directions to where the bird was actually seen, so other birders can
attempt to find the bird, if the photos are either inconclusive or confirm
that the bird actually is a golden-fronted woodpecker.

Good birding,
Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio