OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Sherrie Duris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherrie Duris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:59:42 -0500
Greetings Birders!

Sunday at 2:30 p.m. I had a female Common Yellowthroat at Ravine Park off
Wheeling Street in East Toledo north of the Lutheran Homes on the north side
of the ravine. This area is less than a half mile south of Consaul Street
(same street Tony Packo's is on that turns into Corduroy in Oregon)and north
of Seaman Road. There is a dirt path (muddy) that makes a circle with a few
picnic tables at the west end of the loop. I stopped my car along the south
end of that path along the treeline. She was in a mixed flock of Tree
Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, Goldfinches, and Cardinals that
were working the edge of the treeline on the ground in the taller grass and
weeds.

I added a zoomed in Google iPhone map on Rarebird.org of its location along
the ravine and a link to a photo off the internet of what the bird looked
like. It may be an immature male, but I don't remember seeing any grayish or
darker color around the facial area, but the lighting wasn't the greatest
either, as I saw the bird during a snow squall. The bird definitely stuck
out amongst the sparrows and goldfinches. I noticed the size and color right
away. The overall color was olive/dullish yellow with a whitish eye ring.
Its throat and underparts were brighter yellow and it possessed the typical
COYE behavior. The habitat was also right for COYE. If I remember correctly,
a few Toledo area birders had a Common Yellowthroat a few years ago at
Navarre Park in East Toledo during a Christmas Bird Count in December.

I was less than fifteen feet from the bird in my car and was able to see it
in three different spots as it moved around in the thickets. I got out of my
car to grab my camera in my trunk and all the birds flushed - heading west
toward Hecklinger Pond. I walked west along the ravine to relocate it, but
the snow and wind was pretty heavy so I left and headed to Woodlawn Cemetery.

On another note, I had 23 Common Redpolls, a group of of White-winged
Crossbills, and a Northern Mockingbird at Woodlawn Cemetery on Saturday
morning. There was a single Greater Scaup hanging out in the open waters of
the canal at the State Boat Ramp between Anchor Point & Meinke Marina off
Corduroy Road yesterday morning. There was also a female Hooded Merganser
swimming with three female Common Mergansers in this same area. The field on
the east side of Howard Road yielded a large flock of Lapland Longpurs just
north of the dirt road. Out of all the Gadwall at Metzger yesterday, I
spotted one American Wigeon along the south end of the marsh and a Northern
Pintail flew over my car heading toward Howard Road as I was leaving.

Good Birding!

Sherrie Duris
Vice President
Toledo Naturalists' Association