OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:58:49 -0500
I live in rural Athens County, and this evening I walked down to a reliable
site on my road where woodcocks have been observed doing courtship rituals
in previous years.  I did not hear a peent, nor see a full display, but did
hear a truncated version of the wing whistling that accompanies the
ascending part of courtship flight, which was paired with visual
confirmation of the bird flying overhead, back lit by what light was left in
the sky.  I'm hoping that with the even milder weather that's predicted for
tomorrow that I'll get to see a full courtship display soon!

One thing I wonder about these very early (in the season) displays is
whether these are birds that came from up north and this is as far south as
they got in their fall migration, or could this possibly be a male who
nested here last year?  I'm assuming it's the former, but who knows?

Before the woodcock showed up, I was treated to a delightful serenade by a
VERY loud Song Sparrow.  He seemed to be working on setting up some
territory boundaries - I watched him for at least 15 minutes, and he moved
around to a variety of different locations before returning to the shrub
where I had originally spotted him.  I was impressed by his repertoire - he
sang at least 4 different songs, but there was probably even more variation
than that and I just couldn't pick them all apart from each other.

Good birding,
Heather Aubke
Albany, OH