OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 01:03:40 -0500
Greetings!

I had a great day today...well yesterday.  I finally gave in and took a
mental health/recovery from a nasty fall "sick" day to go birding.

First off the bat, GREAT SUNRISE!:
http://www.sjlarue.com/Landscapes/Scenic/16471834_BdDhVc#!i=1693088662&k=4sWQWHJ

I then headed off to Russ Reynolds' personal bird preservation...:-D
Russ has had several Common Redpolls visiting his feeder this past week,
and I couldn't pass the opportunity to drive an hour and strike off the
OTHER Redpoll off my list.  So I spent the morning with Russ, camera in
hand.  During that time I had multiple viewings of two females and one
male Common Redpoll.  Though it is not all four subspecies, Redpolls are
officially off my life list...although, I could use a couple of more
Hoarys :-D
While there we also had a Coopers Hawk fly over, several Crows, bushel
baskets of both Tree Sparrows and Goldfinches. Juncos, Titmice, Bluejay,
Downy and Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Chickadees, Cardinals, House
Sparrows, and WB Nuthatches finish off the list.  At one point there
were birds just dripping from the trees.

I stopped a few Seconds over at Oak Hill Cemetery in hopes of finding
some Crossbills, but only found Juncos.

I then went back over to Killdeer Plains to find Eagles; both Juvi and
Adult...one adult was giving roadside views eating a bit of supper.
Kestrels, Red Tailed Hawks, Harriers; 1 grey ghost(male) and 7 or 8
females, one Rough Legged, and no owls. Waterfowl included Canada Geese,
Trumpeter Swans, Mallards, Pintails, Canvasbacks, Gadwall, Ringnecks,
Shovelers, Blue and Green winged Teals. I had a single Meadowlark at the
top of a tree at the edge of the reserve, and more Tree Sparrows.  No
shrikes...darn it.

Finished off the day with a great sunset and a couple of more Harriers
over at Big Island WA...but again, no owls.

AHHHH...I feel better. :-D

Pics of the day are at my smug site, and on Facebook.
Website: http://www.sjlarue.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds

If you are a Facebooker, then look for sjlarue photography, that will
get you to my photography page...The Boyds should be on top. :-D

Have a great week!

Steve J
(aka sjlarue)