OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 02:23:21 -0500
Thank you to everyone who replied to my eBird questions. While eBird
clearly is not the perfect solution for mapping out a birding trip, it is
possible to wrangle enough information out of it to be somewhat helpful in
planning. Most of the suggestions have been posted to the list, but here's
one I sort of figured out myself...

The list of GPS coordinates can be made to work for those without GPS
devices by mapping them to ordinary Google maps. I wasn't able to get
google maps to recognize the coordinates directly, but found this website
that will convert coordinates to a google map:

http://boulter.com/gps/
Copy and paste in your coordinates from the eBird list. Click the google
map link directly below the small map window to jump to the full map.

I guess you could add these locations one-by-one to your own personal
google map for the purpose of mapping a birding outing. The drawback of the
eBird hotspot GPS list is you have to know the names of the places you are
going. Lesser known hotspots would be completely missed.

I think public google maps of birding locations could be the perfect
solution to what I'm after. For instance, here's one I made a few years ago
for birding by car in CVNP. It may not be complete or up to date, but you
get the idea.

http://g.co/maps/jm673

It would be great if local birding groups would develop public maps such as
these for their home turf. Does anyone know if this is being done?

All in all, an informative discussion. Thanks to all who took the time to
respond.

Bird well,
Karen Gray