OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Laura Madden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Madden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:29:38 -0500
Since the weather was so nice today, my son and I decided to drive out to
Ashtabula Harbor to look for the snowy owl.  We ran into a couple of
railyard workers who said there were two owls spotted this morning.  We
arrived around 11:30AM and were able to spot one on the grass out by the
water near the railroad tracks.  I guess the other one was over by the iron
and coal piles and could not be seen from our vantage point.  You would have
to be an employee who could get over to that area since it is restricted.
The owl we were watching flushed while one of the trucks drove by so we got
to see it take flight. It landed and went under a small sign for an hour or
so until we left. We observed it with our scope and it was grooming and
looking all around.  It appeared to be an immature with barring on the chest
and wings. We were very happy to have been able to observe it today!