OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:45:16 -0800
For the first time since mid-October, the Rufous Hummingbi
 Friends,

For the first time since mid-October, the Rufous Hummingbird did not show up at our feeder or at the Weavers up the hill. It could still be in the area but my guess is that the bird finally heeded the call to Florida or some gulf state for part two of its migration this year. It's been a wonderful experience for all of us here at the Weavers and Glicks.

However, at our feeders today were: 5 Pine Siskins, 1 E.. Towhee, 1 Black-capped Chickadee, 1 almost-certain "Oregon" Junco, 9 C. Grackles, 4 Rusty Blackbirds, Cowbirds, N. Mockingbird, plus all the regulars and a Rough-legged Hawk circling to the east.

At Funk Bottoms Wildlife Area in sw Wayne County the Northern Shrike was still findable, (about one mile north of Funk near an old silo and barn on the west side of the road)  An estimated 2000 ducks, mainly Mallards but with small numbers of other dabblers and divers were seen from Wilderness Road.  5 Short-eared Owls appeared south of Wilderness Road at dusk.

Bruce

Bruce Glick
Millersburg, Ohio