OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:52:39 -0500
Ohio Birders,

On October 20, 2009 I banded an adult female Rufous Hummingbird near
Loudonville, Ashland County, Ohio where she was First Observed on October
24 and Last Observed on November 9, 2009.

On December 18, 2010, Fred Bassett recaptured her in Pensacola, Florida (I
don't have FO and LO dates).

Today (January 4, 2012), I caught her again, this time in Mansfield,
Richland County, Ohio. She has been on site there since about November 1.
The homeowner prefers not to host visitors as they have a small house and
yard, with limited parking. This is about 15 miles NW of where she was
originally banded in 2009 (and less than 2 miles from where another Rufous
was banded in 2007).

This is only the second Rufous Hummingbird confimed as a returnee to Ohio
(none yet in Michigan or Indiana).

Since she was banded in 2009, she has likely flown at least 15,000 miles,
including two returns in summer back to her breeding area somewhere in the
Pacific Northwest (from Oregon to southern Alaska). She is also at least 3
years 6 months old.

Amazing!

--
Allen T. Chartier