OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2012 22:06:43 -0500
Hi: I spent a few hours this afternoon in the Funk and Wilderness Rd. area
and then over to Killbuck Marsh at the big pond on Rt 226 north of Shreve.
Most everything was frozen in the Funk area, but I did see a red-shouldered
hawk in a tree fairly close to the observation platform. I spent a little
time on Funk Rd. north of Funk looking for the Northern Shrike, but did not
find it. There was another woman in a car looking for it also, but no luck.
I did not see much on Wilderness Rd - everything frozen. Drove past Shreve
Lake, but it was frozen too. A block or two from Shreve lake there is a
small, brushy area that often holds a mockingbird, and, sure enough, there
it was eating multiflora rose hips in clear view. I drove across 226 on
Force Rd. and then down Cemetary Rd to a hilltop with a good view of the
large Rt226 pond. Most was frozen, but there were a few leads of open
water. Along one were some of the tundra swans that have been in the area.
I counted about 35 tundra and 4-5 mute swans, along with a dozen or so
black ducks and a few gadwall. My total of 23 for about 4 hours of looking
was not impressive, but it was good to get out and start the 2012 list.
Randy Rowe