OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2012 14:51:15 -0500
I feel for the dad who posted that he took the kids out for an owl and
ended up with Canada Geese. I think we all have had those days.

My year got off to a better start. I began at the Alum Creek South bike
path in Westerville (Franklin County). My first bird was the gray morph
Eastern  Screech Owl in the tree cavity. Further down the trail I picked up the
two  rufous morphs at the steel bridge. These little guys have been reliable
since  December 2010. I picked up many of the common residents along the way
and then  headed over to Blendon Woods Metro Park. I parked near the nature
center and  walked down the road towards the Dogwood reservable picnic area.
About 100  yards down the road I picked up a Barred Owl. As I looped my way
back along  the Sugarbush Trail I located a second Barred Owl among the
evergreens. Back at  Thoreau there were the plentiful American Black Ducks,
Mallards, Hooded  Mergansers, Pied-billed Grebe, Great Blue Heron and a belted
Kingfisher. I had  to stay close to home today as the rest of the family is
down with the bug. Off  to the store again for Kleenex, aspirin, juice and
soup. Father dad to the  rescue.

Charlie B.