OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 21:01:51 -0500
Hi All,

I stopped by the Hardin Co. Snowy Owl area this morning and re-found the owl around 10:35 a.m.  When I arrived it was in a field at the intersection of TR 25 & TR 160.  As I pulled up it flew west and landed along TR 21.  It then flew off into the field opposite house number 15056 on TR 21.  It then flew a little farther into the field and when I left at 11:10 a.m. it was in the field opposite house number 15036 on TR 21.

I stopped back by on my way home around 4:45 p.m. this evening and found the owl again this time in the corn stubble field adjacent to house # 15036 on TR 21.  It was there for a little while untile some additional traffic spooked it and it flew back into the field at the intersection of TR 25 & TR 160.  I left around 5:10 p.m. and the owl was still being observed by others.

Map link for reference: http://g.co/maps/5kp5n

It seems to spook fairly easy, but at least it has stayed in the area.

********
I also went looking for the Hancock Co. Snowy Owl reported near Fostoria, Ohio.  Unfortunately it was a no-show, but I did find an adult Bald Eagle perched on a nest at the intersection of CR 23 (Independence Ave.) & TR 218 (W. Zeller Rd.).  It was in a woodlot, visible from the road, in the southeast corner of that intersection just south of Mosier Lake.
Reference map: http://g.co/maps/f8r5q

********
Lastly, I went looking for the Snowy Owls near Cygnet Rd. & Rte. 235 & Weston Rd. in Wood Co.; as reported to the Toledo Rare Bird Alert by Sherrie Duris.  I was unable to find either of those two birds either.  Reference map: http://g.co/maps/fs34x

Again, on the way home I stopped by the Hardin Co. site and found that owl again.  Hopefully it will stick around through the weekend for those hoping to search for it.

Casey Tucker