OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 22:34:14 -0500
The Damascus female Rufous Hummingbird has apparently said goodbye! Last seen on Tuesday morning January 3rd. Several different individuals have checked on her the last couple of days with no success. On January 1st she was present for The Salem Christmas Bird Count. First seen by my wife Denise on November 10th, it was a nice stay of 55 days. Allen Chartier banded her on November 22nd; seems like a long time ago. There were many visitors who came and got great views of "HUMMY", as we called her. Many thanks to Dr. Marge Wuthrick of Yougstown State University, a Damascus resident, who volunteered to be "HUMMY'S" caretaker when we left for Florida on December 16th. I am sure at the time, that Marge had no idea, that her services would be needed for 19 more days. We assumed "HUMMY" would be gone by Christmas. On "HUMMY'S" apparent last morning at the Lane residence, the temperature was about ten degrees, with eight inches of snow on the ground. The following is an excerpt of an e-mail from Marge on Tuesday: I took the feeder back to the house this morning after having to use shovels and a snowblower to get out of the drive at home. West Branch, the local school district, was closed the first day back after the holidays. It was 7:30AM before she got her first sip today . . . So she couldn't wait until I had hung the feeder. She flew in while I was lining the eyelet onto the hook . . . Hovering three inches from my hand and apparently unafraid. What a thrill!!! I stood still until she finished and I swear it seemed as if she went into your little decorative birdhouse on the nearby shelf. I hung around for a short time to see if she would return for another sip, but just succeeded in getting cold. I don't know if the heat lamp is up for the challenge today . . . 19 degrees registered on the thermometer in your shed and a wind chill below that. She could be headed for the Gulf any minute . . . Wish I could go along! This was the last time she was seen. Another e-mail excerpt from Jeff Harvey sort of sums it up: We hope "HUMMY" is on her way to a better climate. We will miss her. What a treat she has been! This has been an experience that Denise and I will never forget, and consider ourselves lucky to have had the opportunity to share it with others! Once in a lifetime! Good Luck "HUMMY" wherever you are. See you next year? We will be waiting for you.  Bob Lane / Pinellas County, Florida