OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2012

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 15:35:36 -0500
I took a walk along the Canal in the Ohio and Erie Canal Res. today around
noon partly because of the recent post here about the bald eagles.

I stood on the bike path next to the Canal and watched a peregrine falcon
circle above the Visitor's Center along with a number of gulls with my
binoculars. The falcon made three short dives at gulls. The falcon would
gain altitude above the gulls, tilt down, bring its wings close to its body
and shoot towards a gull. Maybe they were practice dives? Maybe the gulls
were bothering the falcon and it wanted to chase the gulls off?

While driving out of the parking lot an adult bald eagle flew up out of the
trees near the little loop road next to the mountain bike trail. I pulled
into the loop road and jumped out of my car to watch it. The eagle soared
low and slow above for a few minutes. A walker was on the path next to the
road and also watched the bird watch us. Nice!